Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"But WHY, mommy??"

Her new favorite phrase - 'but why, mommy?' We've hit that stage. She's so inquisitive and its not coming from a place of disrespect - she is honestly curious about WHY we do the things we do. But why can't I pour water out of the tub? But why can't I eat chocolate pudding for breakfast? But why can't I...

Most of the time, I'm calm and give her an explanation to satisfy her curiosity. And I usually get a "yes ma'am" or "alright" for a response. But there are times, say after the 900th but why, that I resort to..."because I said so"...I swore I'd never say that because I HATED when mom said that to me as a child, but man it is difficult. The little girl has a way of wearing me down.

Today was one of those days. I lost count of the "but whys" after about 200. But as I held and rocked my 33lb 3.5 year old to sleep tonight, stroking her hair and kissing on those sweet cheeks of hers, I muttered: "because I love you and want the best for you, little girl." And that is my constant and consistent prayer - that all I'd do for my children would be from a place of pure love. Because they deserve that from their mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment