Search This Blog

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Be Still...

I was lying in bed, minding my own business and quite content to be sleeping soundly when little Miss decided to invade my personal space last night at 2am. She will come in to our room and then stand there at the side of the bed. Sometimes, she'll make up the funniest or most pitiful excuses in the world to try and come in to bed with us. Alas, we've resigned that she's just not ready to sleep on her own all night yet. But I still thinks its funny..."Me sick, Mommy (fakes coughing), my throat hurts (fake coughs again), LOL.

So I bring her up into bed and I'm lying on my left side, facing the middle of the bed. She snuggles right up in my face, arms thrown around my neck. And then begins the fidgeting. She'll toss, turn, play with my hair(which drives me nuts), and is generally disruptive to my sleep processes. Unsettled is a good word to describe her. Last night was no different. I calmy and gently asked her to quit moving and go to sleep. I agitatedly(my new word, you like it?) demanded that she quit moving. And then I not so calmly and not so gently yelled at her to "BE STILL, CHILD". Yes, I was crabby and tired and I yelled at my kiddo. I put my arms around her tightly and the more she turned, the tighter I held her until she finally gave up. Slowly but surely her body relaxed in my arms, her breathing was deeper and slower, until I could feel her warm breath on my nose. She was still.


Psalm 46:10 reads: 10 He says, “BE STILL and know that I am God;

Be still. I do lots of things well in this life - but being still isn't one of them. I thought to myself, as Joey tossed and turned, that this is what I must look like in the arms of the Father. Here He is, with His arms around me, and all I can do is toss and turn. And yet, He patiently(and perfectly) waits for my heart to be still before Him. Studying the Bible has taught me(and is still teaching me) who God is and what He has done. I know that He is reliable and trusthworthy both from studying His many attributes and by studying what He's done for and through His people. So, I'm challenging myself. To quit squirming and flailing so much and instead, to BE STILL and know that He is God.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a blog!! Can't wait to keep up with you this way! And such a beautiful start. You have much to share with your readers and I'll be so happy to hear it all. Happy blogging, friend!

    ReplyDelete